Histotech - NIH - Bethesda, Maryland
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a LAB TECHNICIAN with IHC and EM EXPERIENCE to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Bethesda is near Washington, DC.
This is a long-term contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with comprehensive benefit package
- Opportunity to work at NIH, the world's foremost medical research center
- Learn more about what Kelly can do for you at http://www.kellygovernmentsolutions.com
TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:
1. Provide research lab support by performing electron microscopy (EM) on biological and materials samples.
2. Perform sample preparation fixation, embedding, sectioning, staining, dehydration, drying, coating, etc.
3. Collect, process and analyze laboratory samples.
4. Operate Light Microscopes (LM), Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM), Scanning Electron Microscopes (SEM), and Focused Ion Beam Scanning Electron Microscopes (FIB-SEM) to produce high quality digital images of client samples.
5. Prepare solutions and materials for experimental plans and execute according to established timelines.
6. Compile results and prepare technical reports and appropriate documentation of outcomes.
7. Participate with on-going projects to prepare samples and collect images for figures in grant proposals and publications.
8. Make detailed observations during protocols.
9. Train staff on use of general lab equipment operation and research techniques.
10. Train staff on sample preparation protocols and specialized equipment operation.
11. Interact with vendors and service providers to ensure proper functioning and service of equipment.
12. Monitor compliance with NIH and OSHA safety requirements.
13. Maintain the laboratory in an organized manner, stock supplies, make solutions, dispose of chemical waste, etc.
14. Write and update protocols for laboratory equipment and processing techniques.
15. Work with staff in managing instruments and equipment through online management system (iLab).
16. Schedule and maintain records of equipment and facility.
17. Maintain instrumentation through troubleshooting, coordinating or performing maintenance service and repair tasks, perform alignments, perform calibrations and water cooling system maintenance.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
1. BS/BA in Biology, Life Sciences or a related discipline.
2. Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a laboratory environment.
3. Minimum of one (1) year of experience with tissue processing, performing sectioning with a microtome, and immunolabeling at the light microscopy level.
4. High level of proficiency in ultrathin sectioning of resin embedded samples on the ultramicrotome.
5. Fundamental knowledge of the operating characteristics of light microscopes, electron microscopes and vacuum systems.
6. Operational knowledge of the Light Microscope (LM), Fluorescent Microscope (FM), Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM), the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), and additional standard sample preparation instrumentation such as ultramicrotome, sputter coater, critical point dryer, glass knife breaker, etc.
7. Operational knowledge of cryo-sample preparation methods including high pressure freezing (HPF) and automated freeze substitution (AFS), and quick freeze substitution (QFS).
8. Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Purchasing Online Tracking System (POTS), and iLab online resource management tool.
9. Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
10. Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.