The Innovation Engineering Manager is a leader on the R&D teams responsible for ensuring successful operation of the Center of Excellence located in Belcamp, MD. The Innovation Engineering Manager will play a key role in the organization by creating a positive environment for East Coast customers of Life Sciences sales team to find cost effective packaging solutions. The Belcamp test lab will serve as a highly efficient test lab with fast throughput of testing projects and as a showcase for our innovation and new products. The Innovation Engineering Manager reports to the Senior Director of Operations for the business unit in the Process Solutions Division.
• Manage the operation and upkeep of the thermal testing lab:
o Maintain schedule of thermal testing for key customers and internal research projects.
o Provide regular updates to customers, sales reps, and corporate headquarters.
o Create and update detailed timelines for the completion of thermal testing projects.
o Publish test results through email, presentations, and final reports.
o Remain current on technology through research and training.
o Manage the budget of the lab including materials and maintenance.
o Obtain and sustain International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) certification of the thermal test lab.
• Supervise on-site staff of engineers and technicians:
o Manage the day-to-day activities for one or more staff.
o Conduct performance reviews and set annual goals.
o Develop and train engineers to be future leaders in the organization.
o Create career development plans within the lab staff.
• Take actions to ensure a high-quality lab that generates repeatable and trustworthy data:
o Prepare lab for customer audits.
o Work with quality department to ensure excellent results.
o Develop and execute validation plans for testing equipment.
o Identify opportunities for continuous improvement within lab documentation and practices.
o Develop innovative methods to conduct testing using limited resources.
• Be a leader in the organization:
o Take a leadership role and model key success behaviors of communication, teamwork, accountability, and results-focus.
o Raise the level of understanding across the organization of our innovation possibilities.
o Be an advocate for diversity, for creating a culture of winning, and for compliance with key processes used to govern the business.
• Live the Company Values daily.
• Any other duties as assigned.
Supervise Others: Yes
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Quantitative Analysis, or equivalent and related technical degree from a regionally accredited college or university required. (NOTE: Significant and applicable work experience may be considered in place of a degree.)
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience working in lab management with a track record of advancement required; six (6) or more years’ experience preferred.
• International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) professional certifications preferred.
• Prior experience and knowledge with testing packaging, especially thermal packaging, preferred.
• Systems experience – High degree of tech-savvy with proficiency in one or more Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system required; proficiency with SAP, Minitab, or other statistical software preferred.
• Minimum of intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) required; advanced proficiency preferred.
• Comprehensive knowledge of Quality methodologies to include, but not limited to, Failure Mode Effect Analysis, Measurement Systems Analysis, Production Part Approval Process, Quality Systems Assessment, Advanced Product Quality Planning, Statistical Process Control, Root Cause Analysis, as well as the application of said quality methodologies to include supplier quality/supplier development.
• Ability to manager thermal testing chambers including calibration and validation plans.
• Proficiency with statistical / 6-Sigma and LEAN methodologies and techniques to drive optimization and problem resolution.
• Ability to lead the justification and execution of lab expansion including additional test chambers and a broader scope of package testing capabilities.
• Demonstrated results orientation reflective of a high degree of initiative, follow-through, and accountability with an ability to manage complexity and ambiguity.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, as well as to analyze problems and make independent judgements to initiate corrective action and resolution.
• Demonstrated understanding of various project management methodologies including Waterfall, Agile, and / or SCRUM preferred.
• Strong task and detail orientation – awareness of urgency in communication while displaying diplomacy in day-to-day interactions.
• Ability to work with and lead cross-functional groups.
• Ability to work well with external contacts and demonstrate a high comfort level reviewing testing plans and communicating directly with key customers and suppliers.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal – must be able to develop and deliver high impact presentations to Senior Management.