Kelly Services has an exciting new position for a Mechanical Engineer at its Midland, Michigan location. The candidate will provide Mechanical Engineering support, for plants and facilities in Midland, Michigan and/or Business Aligned sites in North America. The successful candidate will apply leadership skills with technical knowledge in the design and procurement of Mechanical Equipment and Piping systems. Support requirements will also include a combination of capital, expense and plant support projects.
Education and Experience:
BS in Mechanical Engineering combined with a minimum of 5 years experience in the specification, design, and installation of mechanical equipment and piping systems. Have knowledge of ASME, API other codes applicable to piping and equipment design and installation.
Provide support to projects for Mechanical/Piping design:
- Prepare specifications for inquiry and order of mechanical equipment on projects. Use Client Global Engineering Standards and ensure that safety standards are considered in the design.
- Provide direction in creation of Piping and Equipment layouts and drawings.
- Review Vendor documents submitted for review or approval. Act as the communication focal point for appropriate information/data between the Vendor, Client and other disciplines.
- Be responsible for the accuracy, completeness and quality of all aspects of mechanical engineering/design on projects, as the Mechanical Lead Engineer. This includes the design and preparation of bid and construction documentation in support of capital and expense projects.
- Provide Mechanical Engineering expertise to Client Plants as part of an Engineering Support Team.
- Work with construction managers by actively participating in constructability reviews and provide resolution of issues that come up during construction.
- Manage and coordinate the work of a team of designers, as well as efficiently coordinating with all other design disciplines, such as construction, procurement, project management, project engineering, project controls, process engineering, and process automation, to successfully complete the design of the mechanical and piping portion of work for capital projects. Consult and provide engineering solutions for plant support needs.
- Provide scope of work and direction of outside engineering firms Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC) when project needs require it.
- Ensure the work process is followed for Management Of Change (MOC) and Request For Variance (RFV) for Client Engineering and Manufacturing during the course of project work.
- Preparation of piping, mechanical, insulation, and coatings specifications for bid packages for inquiry/construction
- Read and understand Piping & Instrument diagrams
- Experience in the design and/or analysis of piping and mechanical equipment
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people including other engineers, designers, and craftsman.
- Ability to communicate well
- Ability to handle multiple jobs at the same time
- Ability to learn new work processes and tools
- Support construction stage of projects
- Ability to troubleshoot and support start-up of production facilities
Additional Technical Skills/Knowledge (not necessary to have experience in each area):
- Experience and understanding of hydraulic systems
- Interpretation and application of the construction codes for the State of Michigan
- Experience and understanding of solids handling and Packaging
- Experience in the design, testing and fabrication of piping systems
- Experience with Fired Equipment (Boilers)
- Experience with Heat Transfer Equipment
- Component Knowledge (Bearings, seals, etc)
- Mechanical Equipment Reliability
- Experience with Stress Analysis (Pipe Stress and component stress)
- Experience with Pressure Vessel Calculations
Qualifications - External
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the design and installation of mechanical systems